Friday, March 6, 2009

Confessions of a Shopaholic

I've always been meaning to get around to reading the Shopaholic series but with my studies, I just didn't have the time for fancy chick lit..and with the hype of the movie out now and my short uni holidays, I decided to finally get the book and read it. I'm now at page 118 and found the book to be very entertaining thus far, but this book would be something my boyfriend will never understand. He refers to chick lit and my romance novels as "rubbish" for they do not get you "thinking"... Anyway, I was just thinking about my shopping and money spending habits while reading this book. I got to admit, I too also spend a lot on unnecessary things, and I consider myself an *almost* online shopping addict. I have sensitive skin and purchase a lot of my creams, soaps, scrubs and such online at the handmade site http://www.etsy.com/ , and mind you, shipping to Singapore is not cheap. But thinking about it now, I just love searching for pretty and unusual things online. I love having the luxury of shopping in the comfort of my room. I also get the thrill of buying something from anywhere in the world (but it's usually the US) and when I do receive my items, it's like opening a present on Christmas morning. Yep, it's that exciting. But back to money spending habits. The book did get me to contemplate on how much I spend unnecessarily. Do I really need that top from Victoria's Secret? Or more expensive soaps and creams to add to my growing collection because they're pretty? I wonder how hard is it to just cut little luxuries out of your life. How soon will I start to feel the itch to spend?

2 comments:

  1. I started reading the Shopaholic series when I was on bed rest with my pregnancy. I'm not a shopper at all but I loved all the books. Sometimes it is nice to just read rubbish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I LOVED the Shopaholic books but didn't care for the film as much, it became to Americanised.

    As for cutting back a little I've started to make use of my library ordering in specific books and DVDs I want to read and watch and have saved myself a lot of money by doing this and do feel quite good about it!

    Victoria x

    ReplyDelete